View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
ZeframCochrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Thanks for the tip! The fan on the graphics card, even though we dusted it, is still making sounds, so I'm thinking that's the problem. I didn't uninstall the old driver before I installed the new one...should I go back and redo it?
Drivers shouldn't be a problem. You would've been able to tell right away if the procedure had not gone the right way. I'm ready to bet Nvidia changed policies and will now let you install new drivers on top of the old ones.

Noisy fans are never a good sign. Download a program like SpeedFan to check the temperature of the GPU. My GF8800 runs at 70-80°C without problems. Open the program, then open The Sims (or TLC) for a few minutes. Don't let it sit there idly, play actively in order to put the nominal load on the GPU. Close the game and see what temperature the GPU and CPU will have reached, if they moved from the starting temperature at all.
A better program than SpeedFan is Lavalys Everest, but it's not freeware. They offer a trial version, but I'm not sure if it's time-limited or if it has limited functions.

Have you cleaned the CPU heatsink fins? Dust has the bad habit of accumulating between them.