View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 03:52 AM   #4
ZeframCochrane

In my experience, when a computer reboots by itself it's usually due to overheating. If the trick suggested by Collector doesn't work, I suggest considering this angle.

Dusting was an excellent idea, an important part to remove dust from is the space between the fins of any heatsink you may see (mainly CPU and GPU, but why not, get rid of any dust from the Northbridge heatsink too). The only way I could clean the Graphics Card heatsink was to disconnect it, blow some canned air through one air vent and witness a whole civilization of dust bunnies coming through the other end, as I didn't have the heart of performing surgery on it.

Also, if a fan is malfunctioning, removing dust alone won't be enough, you'll have to check that they're all working properly.

A hint: when installing new GeForce drivers, remember to uninstall the old ones first. You can do it through the Add/Remove Programs function of the Control Panel. Then reboot the computer and install the new driver. I'm pretty sure the procedure is explained in these terms on the Nvidia website, too.
Btw, before you install the new drivers, having uninstalled the old ones, no drivers will probably mean a very low resolution, so if you have a cluttered desktop be sure to put the driver's installer elsewhere (I usually save it in the C:\ root), otherwise you may not be able to see it on a low-res desktop.