View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #100
courderoy guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
Ok... but nothing to back that up with? I appreciate that others here have said it's dated and given reasons, but you're not making a very persuasive argument there.

EDIT: To elaborate, I've previously made a point on a weakness in the writing, but not necessarily the mechanics. Are you disagreeing then that a well written and original story for a game using conventional adventure game mechanics would then be uninteresting?
If it's a good game it wouldn't be uninteresting! I just think the market holds developers back, both because of the size of the budgets required to make a profit and because there's a significant resistance to change.

Personally, I want the genre to move toward something like Mass Effect - not necessarily in combat and such, but the "real-time" large world to explore and a dialogue and story development system like BioWare uses. I also would love it if I never had to see another game-stopping "puzzle" element ever again! To me, adventure games are best when they offer good stories and a more relaxed gameplay experience that you can go through at your own pace. But static graphics in which you point and click your way screen by screen through the use of "hot spots" doesn't cut it any more for me. Especially when you are forced to stop at certain points to combine bike handles with bubble gum and that sort of stuff.