View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #99
Sughly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahkris View Post
Uncharted or Uncharted 2? Because the second game really nailed the "Freedom of Movement" and "Throwaway Voice Comments" aspects which adventures desperately need to utilize (the latter seems to be used by Tales of Monkey Island a bit though, from my understanding).
Well, I've played both so for the sake of the debate I'd say Uncharted 2 seeing as it's by far the better of the two. But 'Freedom of movement'? Is this meant to be a reference to the ability to choose different ways of attacking a scene? I mean, that's about as much freedom as that game has. When you're platforming there's the impression there's freedom to explore but you'll find quick enough they're all dead ends and that it's largely a set out path prettied up.

Ok I don't want to put down other games from other genres, and as I've said before I've played some of them and in the case of Uncharted I've loved them, but I'm just pointing out the fact that if the Uncharted's and the Fallout's came out with lacklustre stories do you really think everyone would still be praising them as they have? Most definately they would not. The idea of a well written story and character seems to muddy peoples perception of a good game. I'm not saying the gameplay is that bad, just that good writing often carries these titles above the sea of other action or shooter games that get barely a fraction of the popularity.

@Burns - you mention (like someone else before you) that adventure titles are the same thing over and over. I agree with you. But my point is that repetition lies in the lackllustre writing (as someone else also pointed out in the reusing of conspiracy plots, murder plots etc etc). If these other named games from other genres such as Mass Effect, Fallout, Uncharted (etc) DIDN'T have the great writing they had, then what would make them so much better as a gaming experience than that of adventure games? If those exact same stories were put into adventure gaming contexts, would you still prefer their genre counterparts? Would you prefer (for example) running around, levelling up your team in Mass Effect or would you prefer to go into the planets and go about solving solutions with a more puzzle based interaction? I hope you get my meaning...

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance