View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 03:39 AM   #108
AndreaDraco83

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyB View Post
One thing that's noticeable is that both I, and Andrea (if my memory serves me correctly) played GK2 before GK1, and so didn't have the preconceptions about how Gracey "should" be behaving. I remember just being slightly puzzled when Gracey was being snotty & bitchy to Gerde about just what her problem was . I do think there's a parallel between comments here & the reaction to April Ryan in Dreamfall after The Longest Journey - there are some people who just want characters to stay the same and not develop. Personally I feel Jane Jensen & Ragnar Tornquist both got it fundamentally right with the way they had the characters develop, though with some flaws (including Joanne Takahashi rather over-egging the acting).
Really interesting parallel, DaveyB. I never thought of it myself, but now that you mention it, I think it's spot-on

And yes, I played GK2 before GK1. From the snippets of her past that Grace lets through during The Beast Within - leaving school, risking everything during the last case, choosing to stay on board -, I always thought that her behavior was perfectly understandable and logical, and when I finally played Sins of the Fathers and saw first-hand what pivotal role she played during the Voodoo Murders case, I can't help but think that she had every right to be royally pissed off.

Quote:
Actually, Grace's German communication with the people in Rittersberg comes over very well - despite it being her (as far as we know) first visit to Germany, she's tried to learn German & attempts to communicate with the locals in German, and acts genuinely grateful to those who offer to speak to her in English. This is in stark contrast to Gaby (playing the classic "English-speaking tourist" role ) who, despite having lived in Bayern for over a year, hasn't bothered to learn more than about 3 words of German & expects everyone to speak to him in English (or just doesn't bother speaking to people if he doesn't think they will).
Another thing I wholeheartedly agree with. I don't know if our English or American friends can understand it, but for our non-English Europeans, even the ones who can perfectly talk or write in English, is frustrating and annoying when someone refuses to lear our languages and stubbornly uses English even after years of living here. On the other hand, when someone learns even just a bit of Italian - I'm thinking, for example, of Daniel Day Lewis, who also lives in Italy, in Tuscany -, I think it's a great sign of humility
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box