View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #81
Burns11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannik View Post
While I see your point, I think comments from the player-avatar can function as an important narrative device. E.g. Tex makes sarcastic, sometimes funny, comments on stuff in his office, his marriage to his ex-wife, other characters, the game world, etc.

All that info add texture and depth to the story and the characters. While some of that could have been told differently, I think comments from the player-avatar is a valid narrative device, and not necessarily dated. It depends on the game and/or story.

To get the same info without those comments, would mean more interactive dialog and/or cutscenes in the game. Sometimes that works, but in some games it tends to have a bad impact on the pacing.

In an adventure where the player-avatar is meant to be a blank slate, it's probably better to leave out the avatar-comments. But in games where the player-avatar has back-story in the game world/story, I think comments can add to a game in a positive way.

EDIT: I was referring to the Tex Murphy games. Especially Pandora Directive, as I haven't played the other games
But, see, those comments aren't inane, they are interesting and purposeful. The problem isn't that there is a comment when clicking something, it's that that comment is boring.

It was once important, when graphics were low res or missing entirely, but today these inane, emphasis on inane, comments and descriptors are superfluous. They are also a hindrance to the current core gamer. It's nice that they might tickle your nostalgia button, or that you've grown numb to the convention, but it's definitely a hindrance to current gamers and an example of why outsiders feel adventure games are dated.