View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #50
Henke
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Hm, I'm not sure about Ace Attorney, because Japanese adventure games have different roots, they're basically based on different conventions and find their inspiration in different titles. While western adventures have mostly their roots in titles like Myst and Monkey Island, for Japanese adventures it's more games like Snatcher and Policenauts. I'm not sure about this, though. I haven't occupied myself with Japanese adventures much so far. But you know, titles like Hotel Dusk and Another Code go in a similar direction, I guess.
Zak & Wiki, on the other hand, is probably more inspired by western adventure games.
The Ace Attorney games, Hotel Dusk, Another Code and the first Professor Layton are the only Japanese adventuregames I've played. But I thought that Ace Attorney and maybe Layton were the only ones that brought something completely new to the table (although I thought all games were good), eastern or western differences aside.

I think that the gameplay in Ace Attorney differs from all other adventuregames I played in the way you are suppose to present evidence at the right piece of dialogue rather then solving "puzzles".

In Layton you have more traditional puzzles in contrast to the ones usually presented in adventuregames since they are often more connected to the story. This actually helped increasing the quality of the puzzles.

I think that Hotel Dusk and Another Code were pretty standard in their ideas but still really good as I already stated (especially the first one).