View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #35
Sughly

Quote:
Originally Posted by potan View Post
Somehow i wonder if the gamer generation nowadays dislike a slow paced adventure games.
( maybe because it requires them to read, explore & think )

So MAYBE it's not completely the fault of the adventure game itself

i did try to offer some of my friends to play "Tales of Monkey Island" &
"Machinarium", which won several 2009 Aggie Award.

their response is either:
- Won't bother trying with "It's not my kind of game" response.
- The game moves too slow & they got stuck in the first half hour & put the game down. (only 3 people who actually tried, just to make me happy)
Yeah I'm gonna go from here because I think the discussion on FPS has kind of been covered. I think this is a huge issue with the genre because players have been what I think is dumbed down by FPS's. I know people would'nt like the comparison but I can't help but compare FPS and adventures to Hollywood and independant/foreign film. People grow up on Hollwywood and don't bother to appreciate how much better filmmaking is in independants and foreign countries because they have been conditioned somewhat to the Hollywood formula.

Now all of a sudden we have a mainstream gaming audience conditioned to action, predominantly shooting, and developers can't look past that. As long as this is the case, the majority of gamers will want to shoot and kill, and the ability to stop, slow down, interact at a calm pace and really explore story outside of action is to many unachievable.

It's an interesting point to the discussion because it further proves the idea that adventures aren't stuck in the past. Players are just in a completely different place. And I'm not so sure that trying to catch up with that ideal in adventure gaming means it's the best kind of game we can make.

I do have to say ozzie, I honestly wasn't trying to attack you and was genuine when I said you had good points (such as the ones ascovel addressed), so you don't really have to make snide remarks at some of my comments. Also, to say I'm being ignorant when I say Half Life has little story is not really fair when you're saying Myst has none yourself...

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance