View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
Trumgottist
Game Creator Hobbyist

Default Try some SLUDGE (cross-platform game engine) - now with Nathan's Second Chance!

Hi!

Some of you may be aware of the cross-platform open source adventure game engine called SLUDGE. It used to be Windows-only, but starting with version 2.0 it's available for Windows, Mac and Linux. (The 2.0 development kit is currently Mac-only, but games made with the 1.x dev kit in Windows can be run in the 2.0 engine, and there are plans to bring the new dev kit to all three platforms.) Version 2.0 is currently in beta, but it's reached the point where it's working well, so we want more people to try it to find any bugs that may be remaining.

I have packaged up the game Nathan's Second Chance with the engine, so that it's easy to test. It's a pretty good game, so if you haven't played it, now's the time to do so! But don't use the download on the game's site. That would get you the old engine. (Yes, Tim Knauf has given me permission to re-package and distribute the game.)

Mac version
Windows version

Linux users will have to download the tarball, compile the engine themselves and then use that to run the gamedata.slg file found in either the Mac or Windows download.

Please let me know if you find any bugs or problems! I'm also interested to know the system requirements, so if you run this on an older computer, I'd appreciate it if you let me know how that works, too.

--

If you're interested in SLUDGE, you can find out more at the official SLUDGE forum.