View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #95
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

As with many things in the world, the market for certain products and services can and will change. Nothing remains stagnant, especially when it comes to technology and how it affects what we consume.

Microsoft is a huge company, to be sure, so I suspect their decision to make this game a console exclusive has something to do with how big they are. When you're that big, and when you funnel resources into such a huge project, you have that much more to risk, that much more to potentially lose. So of course you invest where your returns can be maximized.

And the console is where it's at these days compared to as recently as several years ago, when the PC market was still big.

I suspect that part of the reason they went for initial console exclusivity is to sell more consoles. It's no different from, say, Sony's PS3 being the sole platform for Heavy Rain or the Nintendo Wii being the sole console for Mario games. They must invest where the returns look to be the highest.

As well, I agree with Microsoft thinking that "...the most compelling way to experience Alan Wake was on the Xbox 360 platform." The game is meant to be highly cinematic, something more strongly expressed - and experienced - on a large, wide screen HDTV from the comfort of your sofa.

EDIT:

Forgot to add that I'm 100% supportive of launching a game on as many platforms as possible so that as many people can experience it. However, I also do understand why the developers and publishers choose to make certain games exclusive, as I stated above.

So I say to support a promising game like Alan Wake to do very well commercially and critically on the 360, because if it does do well it could pave the way for a future release on the PC, or even a port to the PS3.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 02-12-2010 at 05:14 PM.