View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 12:41 AM   #417
UPtimist
Life and times of...

Quite true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
dtp is indeed capable of promoting games, as they showed with Drakensang, Divinity II & Venetica, all three RPGs, BTW.
Never heard of any of them Not that it's any kind of indicator...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
I agree that there's lots of mediocrity and stagnation in our beloved genre.
Which in turn is because there's not enough money to have enough budget, which is because they don't sell well, which is because there's lots of mediocrity and stagnation... Unfortunately it's a cycle. Perhaps the only way to get out of that is to actually get several high-profile, commercially successful (and perhaps innovative) AGs so that the genre as a whole would get more attention and the companies could spend more money on them.

But then, where are you going to get those? Most likely you'd need some really big company to make some AGs almost as an AG revival package, just for the sake of getting the genre back up and running again (in the mainstream). Only they'd have the proper resources to market them enough and hire all the best people to make the game. And why would they do that, since it'd not actually be good business (and it's not like they love AGs so much as to just want to see them do so well ).

Well, anyways. Just my theorizing.

Still, I think that in most respectable gaming magazines and such, only the fact that Gray Matter is a Jane Jensen game should build enough interest etc. to get them to cover it (better than just a side-note) as long as they release the game everywhere and at least make an effort of marketing it when it's released. Then again, perhaps they really don't have professional-level people in their marketing department.

And as I said, I don't see a reason to get all negative about Gray Matter. I doubt Jane would let a mediocre game get through.