Thread: Mass Effect 2
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #82
AndreaDraco83

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Or maybe it's just that you actually can't make interesting, charismatic, personality-having characters in games (outside AGs at least).
I strongly disagree, my dear UPtimist. I've played many adventures, and - in the past fifteen years or so - I can count only five or six really interesting characters in adventure games, while, in other genres, they have indeed been more. But not because of a genre's own faults or merits, but always because of the budget behind a game, a budget that allows the company to hire full-fledged writers and not just programmers-turned-writers or whatnots. Aside from this consideration, I can count many interesting, charismatic and personality-having characters in many games I've recently played - like Jade Empire or Dragon Age: Origins or, to be completely fair and mention the first adventure game that pops into my mind when I think of (recent) deep characters, Dave Gilbert's Blackwell series - and none of them has them better developed than BioWare's recent title. I can't speak for ME2, of course, not having played it, but, judging from ME1, well...

Spoiler:
I already adore Garrus in ME1, and Tali, as you did. And if they really improved Garrus over his past self, well, I'll be beyond happy -- as long that it's true that they got rid of the unsefferable Liara
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box