Thread: Mass Effect 2
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #81
UPtimist
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Not all of us are playing this on the PC, you know. Best if you stated reticle instead.
Yeah, I'm on the XBox too.

And it's not that I'm not aware of how to scan quicker, it's just that that's too slow too, even with the upgrade Maybe it's quicker on with a mouse though. I just do a less thorough check-up, though I still cover most of the planet. Slightly rotating the planet with the right pad and going up-and-down with the left and switching the left trigger on and off (scanner on/off).

Anyways, my two main issues:
All the military glorification. Probably the most annoying aspect of the first game, and what do you know, probably the most annoying aspect of the second game too. There really isn't anything cool in the military and all the crap that comes with it, like the way they behave. And since I'm supposed to be able to "make my own adventure" or whatever and get friendly with the crew and all, why, oh why can't I just order them to stop the freaking saluting?

And to my second issue: uninteresting/dull/cliché/irritating characters. I mean, even worse than ME1. In #1 Tali and Liara were the only characters I actually liked,
Spoiler:
and they don't even have Liara as a crew member in #2 apparently
but the rest were mainly at least alright, aside from Kaidan and Ashley. They don't get much more annoying than Kaidan and Ashley.

But now it's like they thought they'd go with "interesting" characters and just went with "really cool" and "badass" characters and thought everyone would agree with them on how awesome it is. Which is always a bad decision, as they're usually just ridiculous. And now almost all of them are like that (and those who aren't are just superbland, like the Xzibit/Kanye West fellow... Jacob, was it?). I'm not saying they don't have depth, it's just that they're all from the same mold (partly as each other and partly as in all other such games). Just with a bit more depth than the next game. In ME2 they're actually a bit worse than the usual RPG characters and more like action game characters. In ME1 it was the usual Bioware characters at least.

They all have just a pseudo-/semipersonality.

And does everyone have to be "I want to do what's best for whatever but the Council/Alliance etc. don't do enough / are so deep in red tape / something"?

Let's look at who I have right now... (I'll put it in spoilers, although it's probably nothing)
Spoiler:
The two from the beginning (whatever their names... Miranda and Jacob? Both generic, the girl is the usual toughie good-looking, who's not really totally bad but doesn't mind doing whatever necessary blah blah... Very uninteresting. And the the fellow, at least not the forced badass-type, but very dull. Has a bit of potential to be better, but apparently it's pretty much the same as always.

The Professor is probably the best one so far, has an agenda of sort of his own and has an interesting twist to his... Doctorship I just hope they don't settle with the slightly comical side of his, which is obviously looming there. Of course not too serious either, something sometimes forgotten in these kinds of games (usually it's the one silly and all the other serious characters - obviously a bad choice, when all should have a bit of everything).

Garrus... I have to say I wasn't expecting him to be... well, who he was until the first time I heard someone actually refer to him as "Turian". Then of course it was obvious. An alright character, a more realistic reason for going rogue, has at least a flicker of interestingness about him I wish there was something that was strange with him, then he might be spot on. Improved from ME1 though.

Jack, ugh... The appearance is rather ridiculous, you know, the "clothes" she has on. As someone said earlier, she seems quite a lot like a Mortal Kombat import, and it's a bit true. I have hope,after having just one conversation, that she's actually not as ridiculously overdone "badass" as she seems from the trailer and the beginning, but then again, I don't exactly have faith that the writers could do that with enough, eh, delicateness.

I don't have Tali yet, though I have hopes that they've actually given her importance since ME1, where she was left unfortunately sidelined. There wasn't real relationship with her (and I don't mean romance, just that ME1 had just the background stuff and nothing more) when there obviously was potential.

I hope that they've gone a different route with the Krogan, but I doubt it. They're usually all the same in these.

The downloadable fellow is also, as all of them, the same baddie-type. Mercenary who talks about how he used to kill people. I wish they'd done something completely different.

Or maybe it's just that you actually can't make interesting, charismatic, personality-having characters in games (outside AGs at least). Maybe they should try to get someone completely outside these types of games, preferably outside games altogether, to design the characters. They obviously can create epic stories, but they are still so much stuck in their ways that they just can't truly break away from using the usual stuff. Fits the stories too well I guess. Understandable.

Now, obviously I exaggerated a bit, but it's just that in an otherwise great, well-thought and even epic game these kinds of flaws really stand out.

You know what I'd really like in some game? That you could not only make the main character, but that you could also make a companion for him/her. It'd really create new dimensions to the stories when you could affect one person who you're with, who they are and such.

Anyways, totally addicted. Still gathering crew and I'm hoping to find as many from the old crew as possible. I just hope that there isn't any kind of restriction to how many people you can have, so that there's a quota and you can't exceed it (and you have to make a decision (or worse, not even know you're choosing between potential crew members) about who you're getting on board (there was something that might've meant that in a preview)).

Last edited by UPtimist; 01-29-2010 at 09:26 AM.