View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 12:29 AM   #147
terhardp

I've finished the game yesterday, and I must say: Boakes has done it again! While this game still didn't surpassed "The Lost Crown" in my eyes, it has many elements that I love about TLC. Interesting and unique design, beautifuly mixed sound and ambient music, captivating story, straightfoward yet challenging puzzles, wonderful atmosphere and few more than decent scary moments.

The things that were not so great, besides the fact that the game is FPS-style (I prefer TPS myself), is somewhat difficult navigation. Other than that, I don't have any other objections. But I could comment the ending, because it's bit vague... It reminds me on the closing verse of "Hotel California". But I think that it's still pretty appropriate conclusion for the story.

I haven't played the original "Dark Fall" because it's rough graphic has turned me down. On the other hand, I'm glad that I can get past such "flaw", because I didn't like the graphic of "The Lost Crown" at first! When I've played it last year (still haven't replayed), I remember when I saw the blue sky and gray scenery, followed by Nigel Danvers' duck-walk, I said to myself: nah.. It seems I'll skip this one. Boy, I'm glad that I've saw past this! But when it comes to first "Dark Fall", I just couldn't swallow that one. Not on my new hi-end 22 inch monitor...

I've read several reviews of the original game, and according to some comments, it's atmosphere and story are considering much better than in "Lost Souls". But, though I haven't played the first two DF games (yet), I feel that I don't miss much, and that "Lost Souls" captured the essence of the series spirit, plus it has way better graphic and engine.

Continue the good work Mr. Boakes. Looking foward to the "The Lost Crown II"!
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III