View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
KFMN

Send a message via MSN to KFMN

Your quest sounds very interesting and I wish you the best of luck. However, isn't it sort of a buzz kill to actually put you in the place of the main character of the biblical story? If you follow the "script" of the bible intensely and stick solely to that, then doesn't that sort of ristrict you in some ways? For example, say this became somewhat popular, how would you manage to pull off a sequel? Or what about the people that know the story already (not saying that I do), wouldn't they be sort of "mehh" about it, as they know the ending from the get go? Also having it too biblical might put some people off from the get go.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to have it either with two protagonists, one the focus of the biblical story and the other some bystander who one way or another gets mixed up in all of this and ends up affecting it? Or just solely with a bistander who ends up in the midst of the telling that you are proposing.

Ways that this could be done could be in many fun ways, that really enhances your story, makes it your own and also adds a lot of comedy that doesn't feel forced (like it probably would feel, trying to make the main character from the biblical story).

Take a cue from Simon the Sorcerer, how he ends up getting transported back to ye ol' days, and put that idea into your story. What if the protagonist (the bistander) lives in our time and day, he knows the bible already somewhat, but like other teens he doesn't really care too much for it, but knows it somewhat. He then one way or the other ends up getting transported either back in time - or into the bible itself - and through various ways ends up getting mixed up into the unfolding story that you wish to tell. But his interaction keeps mixing everything up, so that the story doesn't progress the way it's supposed to and he now has to make everything right, steer the story in the direction it is supposed to in order for it to end in the proper way. This would teach people about the story in a way that doesn't feel too scripted and forced (by forced: feeling your choices doesn't matter as it's the bible, it'll happen anyway no matter what you do) - anything could happen, but you end up back on track one way or the other - and allows for great comedy. Say a pivotal character in the story is supposed to lead his people from A to B, but due to our clumsy protagonist saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, he realises that he always wanted to be a body oil salesman and now wants to go off and do that and to progress in the story - get it back on track - you need to get HIM back on track. This is just an example, but I think you catch my drift.