Thread: Three Questions
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #3035
Trumgottist
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
2. Is Every Day The Same Dream accessible? That's the most recent game I've played.

1. In your opinion, what does it mean for a game to be accessible? For instance, does it just need to be easy to learn to play, or does it also need to be easy to finish?
2. How different does someone have to be from you for you not to have empathy for them? (Please note that having empathy for a person is not the same as liking them.)
3. How similar does someone have to be to you for you to be able to feel like you can speak for them?
2. Not really. I mostly found it weird. (Though I did smile at the cow bit.) The gameplay, such as it is, is uncomplicated, but I'd rather not call the game itself accessible.

1. "A minute to learn - a lifetime to master" is a slogan written on the box of a board game called Othello. (I've seen a computer version of it called Reversi.) That's very accessible in one sense of the word, and ideal for that kind of game. Not a great concept for an adventure game. (Or any game with a plot that matters, I think. Those should be finishable without the need for mastery.*) But maybe the basic idea of simple rules that can be used in more complex ways can be applied to most kinds of games. It certainly seems to feature in games praised for their gameplay.

* On the other hand, you don't have to master a board game to be able to finish it either. You only have to know the rules and play against someone not too distant from your skill level in order to have fun playing the game to the end.

2. I don't know. I'd like to think that I'd be able to have empathy for anyone, but if tested, that probably wouldn't hold true.

3. That's the wrong question. It's not a matter of similarity, but a matter of how well I know the person.

--

1. What was the highlight of your past week?
2. Do you like snow?
3. (Borrowing an earlier question of Lee's: ) What period of your home town's history do you think would be the most interesting to reenact in a virtual environment?