View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 04:10 AM   #151
AndreaDraco83

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
Yeah, I agree with both of you, HandsFree and Luna. I never noticed that until now either. Unless we're all missing something... somewhere. I'll look into it and see if I can find anything that would justify the need to actually buy that mask before Day 3 ends.
Thankfully for us, the book comes to our help. Chapter Three, in fact, explains this sudden turn of events with a carefully planned sequence that was cut from the game (I don't know why). After Gabriel takes the bracelet mold from Madame Cazanoux, a strange mist starts clouding New Orleans, and he ponders:

What did he want it [the bracelet] for anyway? Did he imagine that if he wore it into the Voodoo shop, it might be some secret sign to loosen M'sieu Walker's lips? Or was it going to enlighten Mosely? A snake bracelet claimed by a paranoid schizophrenic to have belonged to her Voodoo-inner-circle grandmother? [...] But despite this mulling, Gabriel still felt the bracelet was important.

Gabriel then goes to the bookstore to search the yellow pages for some jeweler "who sounded desperate, gullible, or both". And when Bruno appears, Gabriel sells his father's painting because he needs the money to hire said jeweler and convince him to create a replica of Cazanoux's bracelet. As he drives through the city the thought represents itself: what was he going to do with a silver bracelet? Why did he feel it was important? And then, almost if as his bike had a mind of its own, he finds himself plunging into the mist toward Dixieland Drugstore. Hartridge's words resound in his mind:

The use of totems, or animal masks and markings was not uncommon in the original African ceremonies. Now, though, all but the older sects have abandoned this practice.

Older sects, eh? When he had talked to Hartridge and shown him the vévé, Hartridge told him:

It's not from any sect I recognize. Some of these symbols are old, very old. [...] Certain sects are dedicated to the darkest Loa, such as the Cult des Morts.

Hartridge also confirmed to him that St. John's Eve was approaching (June 23rd), and that St. John's Eve was a catholic feast day modelled on an old ancient rite from the Sun Worshippers, whose symbol (a wheel within a wheel) recurred on the vévé Gabriel had copied.

So, basically, after putting all these information together, Gabriel conceived the idea of sneaking into the secret sect's meeting on St. John's Eve (given that such a meeting existed, though: he can't be sure of it just yet). And this is why he wanted the crocodile mask and the bracelet done.

Stay tuned for the next block later today!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box