View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
dantebk

I wish I had a cool continuous narrative of memory, but all I have are these random glimpses of a time long past.

Quest For Glory is one of the reasons I started playing PC games in the first place. As a kid, since everyone knew I was interested in games, sometimes I received random game-related items, and that included a few issues of Sierra's Interaction Magazine, even though my family didn't own a PC yet. I was fascinated with all the articles about adventure games, but especially the ones about Quest For Glory. I remember reading that the original plan was to have four games based on the four elements, but that QFG3 was inserted in the series because they thought the difficulty jump between QFG2 and QFG4 was too steep otherwise, and thinking: Whoa!

When I finally got a PC, my number one priority was getting my hands on some Sierra adventure games, but it would be a while before I could make this goal come true. I remember eventually ordering used versions of QFG1 and QFG2 from Play It Again Games out of the back of a magazine. I remember getting both the EGA and VGA versions of QFG1 so I could see the differences. My dream was to one day own the whole series (QFG5 wasn't even a "Coming Soon" yet) and create a character that I'd port through each game so it would all be like a single storyline. I even went so far as to start a new game for each entry and write down the starting stats so I could make sure not to beat the previous game until I had at least those scores in each skill category.

Two more memories: I remember the first time I finished QFG2, I was so touched by the final scene where all the things I'd accomplished were recapped that I was almost moved to tears. I also remember checking the mailbox every day for a letter from Sierra telling me how to get past where I was stuck in QFG4 (that's right kids, before the Internet if you couldn't afford strategy guides or expensive hint lines you could get free walkthrough advice by writing actual letters to Sierra), and then thinking: "I can't believe I never tried that!"