View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #7
Collector

Andrea is quite right. The Windows version will not run on 64-bit Windows. No 16-bit program will. The Hendroz installer is 32-bit, so will install the game on 64-bit Windows, but the game itself is 16-bit. Also, I have not tested the Hendroz installer on Vista or Win7, but his installer has not been updated for quite sometime, and may have permissions issues on Vista/7. Anyone that has 32-bit Windows Vista/7 and wishes to use the Hendroz installer should not install the game in a system folder, like "Program Files". Even if there are no problems with the installer itself, you may have issues with the game itself with the limited write permissions in these system folders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamedrake View Post
Unfortunately, this installer/patch doesn't work on 64-bit; however, if you have a 32-bit XP installation available, I strongly recommend installing it this way. It does a full install to the hard drive and properly fixes all of the timing bugs which can ruin the game on Days 6 and 9, and it's offered a more stable playthrough than even when I originally bought the game back in 1998.
The DOSBox installer that Andrea linked to above does work on all modern Windows, even 64-bit XP/Vista/7. It does everything that the Hendroz installer does, except it sets up the DOS version to run in DOSBox, so it can be started from a Windows shortcut. It addresses all speed related issues, via a patch created by NewRisingSun. All that you need to do is insert your CD and run the installer. The CD will not be needed for game play.