View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009, 06:22 AM   #3692
DustyShinigami
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by geggis View Post
Jumps are quite cheap and much easier to achieve but creeping people out these days is a much trickier business. I thought Paranormal Activity was one of the creepiest films I've seen since The Blair Witch Project and if you didn't find that creepy then these sorts of films are definitely not for you. I much prefer the slow burning, subtle kind of horror.
I second that.

Whilst I kinda have mixed feelings about The Blair Witch Project, there were a LOT of scenes and events in that film that got under my skin and kept playing through my mind. Creepy. And as I've no doubt mentioned already, Let the Right One In (although not really a horror) haunted me for days, weeks and months. That really got under my skin. And now, it's on my skin as a tattoo.

We really need more horror films that are, as you said, slow burning and subtle. There are far too many samey horror films nowadays that go for the easy route - loads of blood and gore (which isn't scary) and 'jump-out-your-seat' moments.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour