View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 12:29 AM   #248
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
(Edited by CIM for space) [Alistair] is to me the lesser of two potential evils, and such because I have known him intimately during our adventures as a man with a good heart and a humble enthusiasm to do what's right...

Anora may be a stronger ruler, but [...] What exactly were her accomplishments at Cailen's side when he ruled? Did she do anything for the Alienage? Did she try diplomacy on the citizens of Orzammar? Did she support a more respectful relationship with Orlais?
Reasons for her popularity are rarely spelt out (the story is about the blight after all, not who rules Fereldan). Her popularity is alluded to in comments from the gossips in town streets and other overheard conversations, tavern rumours and from speaking to Eamon. Its not just the nobles who liked her. That smacks of a competent ruler.

She too at first eases restrictions on the Alienage post game, you can see many of the epilogue results here. <-VERY spoiler link. Most of the changes are all down to how you treated the treaty members, AND if you use their troops in the final battle.

I just don't understand why you saw Anora as an evil at all? She can be a snarky bitch, thats for sure, but it was she that reached out to Orlais and others for aid and talked Calin into it (persuade the guards outside the King's and Loghain's tents in Ostagar the first time). This is what tipped Loghain into madness. She (foolishly) admits it to her father after his return from Ostagar and requests he accept their aid too (cinematic).

She's infatuated with her shit of a father but I never got the impression she was in on his schemes. Just too forgiving of him. I get why some people pick up on these character flaws and dislike her for it, but not why she suddenly makes for a bad ruler and should be dethroned.

Its a fun gameplay element but I've never seen a plot reason for it, but there's nothing stopping you coming up with a reason of your own for doing it. It is a roleplay game and you are the hero.

Alistair has a heart of gold but he's still too much of a soft touch to be king. See the epilogues. Often someone else is the real power behind the throne, always holding his hand, how do you control who he turns to? You've made his word law and everyone is trying to get a word in his ear. The real test will come when he has to defend his throne and kingdom from rival kingdoms and their methods.