View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 05:31 AM   #243
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Right. Many of the reasons you pointed out above, Andrea, are the same as mine.

*SERIOUS SPOILERS BELOW*

Alistair, despite his lack of experience equal to that of Anora, has what she could never claim - the "street cred" of having a direct hand at helping to unite the citizens of Ferelden against The Blight and saving everyone. And of course, his much deserved popularity with all the various races and social hierarchies - Alienage Elves, Dalish Elves, Humans, Dwarves,
commoners, nobles, etc. - ensures some level of cooperation between peoples. That's at least how I envision it to be based on my playthroughs.

Besides, once news spreads of Loghain having killed the King and nearly starting a civil war, how possible would it be to dissuade many of he citizens from having misgivings about his
daughter assuming the throne instead of Alistair, who is both a new national hero and the blood heir to the throne? And can Anora also claim to be Grey Warden who was directly involved in defeating the Blight? Can she truly identify with ordinary citizens the way Alistair can, thereby having a more sympathetic concern of social and economic inequities within the kingdom?

Also, it's not as if Alistair is on his own as king. He will have Arl Eamon as advisor. And the Arl, of course, also helped in uniting people, particularly nobles, for the cause; he is a just man and wise. There is also Lelianna, who can be a liaison between Ferelden and Orlais, and Wynne and my Mage, who can work with the Circle, the Templars, and the Chantry to improve things. Not everything has to be secretive and scheming. There's also room for transparency, especially as is necessary when different groups are involved.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 12-22-2009 at 05:39 AM.