View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #16
AndreaDraco83

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I like Colpet's first post in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet View Post
I'm playing adventures less and less, and hardly buy any new games since Myst-like games have become unpopular. I've always enjoyed solitary exploration and layered puzzles (Riven, Rhem). These days most of what's available are 3rd person inventory/story/dialgue games that really aren't my cup of tea. [...] I turned to casual games in the hopes of getting in more puzzle time.
See, I'm at the opposite of the spectrum. The qualities I've always enjoyed in adventures - complex, fascinating story; tons of interesting characters to interact with; lots of well-written dialogues - are the reasons why I'm playing less and less adventures (sort of, 'cause I'm still playing a lot of them). I find that many today adventures, even if they are "3rd person inventory/story/dialgue games" as Colpet puts it, lack depth of story and characters and, foremost, are often bland and uninspired, plagued by a lacklustre writing to say the best.

When I'm not playing other genres, and when it comes to adventures, I often find that many so-called casual games offer a better writing than their full-fledged counterparts. I'm thinking of Women's Murder Club or 3 Cards to Midnight or Casebook, for example. And, on the plus side, they are more brief and, as such, often more intense.

Of course, there are still traditional adventures that I've greatly enjoyed, like So Blonde, but not so many, unfortunately.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box