View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
kadji-kun
Banned User

Riven is a masterpiece. Though people need to understand that most masterpieces will be misunderstood by people who don't understand it.

I loved the Myst series. I too play the first game when I was 13. I found it to be the only game that truly throws you into an adventure, without some unusual narrator sounding from the heavens, or an arrow always pointing you into a direction.

I want to say, no one can say it isn't one of the best Adventure games for the very fact it is the essence of an adventure. Think about it. Do you always have direction when you explore a recently dug Aztec tomb? Do you have an arrow always telling you what to do? No, of course not.

Riven had everything Myst had, but with the addition of a more expanded world. Yes, Riven was beautiful, but it had far more unique look than any of the Myst games thereafter. The puzzles were ingenious and hard. This very fact doesn't make the game horrible. It just means it requires "REAL" skill just to beat the game. Not button mashing, not headshots, not useless/pointless items to open a blocked door. All the information is there. You just have to read/understand them.