View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #120
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owskie View Post
However the exploration in Bioware games has nothing on RPG's of other companies with free roaming worlds and endless landscapes. Even the exploration in Dragon Age felt very console simplified even though it was PC dev'd.

Edit: I know Intrepid will come in here and make an arguement I will never be able to argue against so I will just forfeit now... Opinion stated.
LOL! Oh shush, you.

In the end it's really what you, as the individual player, want from the game and what you take from the experience. In a lot of ways you have to play the game on the terms of the people who created it and be open to what the possibilities are within those terms.

I certainly had comparably different experiences from RPGs like Oblivion, Jeanne d'Arc, and Dragon Age.

Oblivion opened up the world to be as free range as possible so that I could run completely off the beaten path and find things that I didn't expect to, like Ayleid ruins, critters to slay, caves, and such. But I noticed that the more I did that the less I cared about the main story I was supposed to follow.

Jeanne d'Arc is clearly the most restrictive RPG I've played so far. There's no freedom at all, I'm forced to stay on rails, and the story was told in non-interactive in-game cutscenes or anime style clips. It felt like how your typical adventure game plays out. But the strongest aspect of this game is the turn based combat with its chess-like tactics.

With Dragon Age the focus is on the story itself and your relationship with the characters to drive your experience and give meaning to move from one location to the next. I found myself wanting to forward the party and win fights to find out what happens next, and particularly how my characters react to decisions I made in terms of the conflicts in the story we were all a part of. I cared for my party members and for what happens in the world that changes according to what I did or did not do in the story.

And THAT is what makes Bioware so unique among the RPG developers, one of the most respected. They imbue their games with a human scope and design the player's experience around it.

Quote:
The dialogue system in Mass Effect was amazing in my opinion, I don't know why they took it back a few steps for Dragon Age. At least I feel they did.
They didn't take it back, because it's not Dragon Age is about. It was never about that. Why would they take it back? After all, didn't you get it from them that that was not important to this game? I didn't miss it at all, it wasn't a deal breaker with me. That's because the focus is on the refinement of what they've always done in the tradition of the D&D style fantasy role playing game.

BTW, Owskie, have you actually played it? Even for just a few hours?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien