View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 04:19 AM   #272
Maquisard
Citizen of Bizarro World

I posted this under the review of the latest ep, but as it pertains to the series as a whole, wonder if anyone here has any thoughts on it:

I think there is a bit of a disturbing trend with lists in these games. You know, do a) b) c) (with all tasks being somehow related) in order to advance the plot to its finale. In the first it was pirate newsmaking, the second was forgettable, but I'm sure the element is present there as well, in the third it was winning over each of the mutineers, and here it was beating each of the cases against you.. followed by yet another list of related tasks in the other half.

Now, personally, I never got too frustrated by ep. 4, and even enjoyed figuring out the challenge it posed. But, with the cliffhanger setting up.. no one knows what the hell it's setting up!, I hope we see a wide divergence in puzzle design. Remember how in the first Monkey Island, each chapter had a drastically different location, and puzzles that forced you to think on an entirely different tangent? I wish Tales felt this diverse, once looked back upon as a whole. Maybe the finale will improve its overall performance. Otherwise, playing the entire season through will feel like a gigantic fetch quest!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem