View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #77
booB
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
I already knew that when I got my console version. I have no complaints. In fact, I don't need the isometric view at all. I can still pause the combat, switch from one party member to another and issue commands, then resume the action. If I wanted to I could even micromanage each member's specific behaviour patterns during combat, right down to who consumes a health poultice when and at what low health percentage in proportion to what other party members are doing at the moment. Yep, the tactical behaviour of your members can be as anal as you are. Works flawlessly.

I think the complaint about not having optional isometric views on the console versions disrespects the consoles and arbitrarily places the PC on some pedestal of perfection. That is unfair and insulting. The reality is that the consoles have their very own way of doing things irrespective of the PC precisely because it's an entirely different interface, a different way of experiencing gaming. In which case, why do consoles need to be subjected to demands as dictated by PC interface and experience?

Bioware seems to have made the console version of the game as good and efficient as they possibly could. They have extremely high standards given the quality of the oeuvre in the RPG genre. But of course, even that could never be immune to the snobbery of the arbitrary PC standards still being imposed by gamers and reviewers alike.
Wow.

Well, I was addressing your question about why the Xbox version was getting such lower scores than the PC version, and the answer, at least in part, is because the PC version is more feature-filled. (I hear tell, also, that the graphics on the Xbox version aren't comparable to the other two, but I can't comment directly because I haven't played any of them yet.) Any reviewer worth a damn is going to give a higher score to a version that will likely appeal to a broader range of people. Just because you, personally, don't care about omitted features doesn't mean they aren't omitted.

And why so up in arms about review scores anyway? If you like the game just fine as is, then why give a rat's ass about someone else's opinion?

And, for the record, I think the PC is the optimal platform to play ANY game. PCs can do everything consoles can, and more; it just takes more know-how, and, sometimes, cash. Don't get your undies in a bunch just because people notice that certain games tend to be dumbed-down for consoles. As Roper Klacks mentioned, PC versions often get the same treatment.

Last edited by booB; 11-09-2009 at 12:55 PM.