View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #74
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
The PC version apparently has a lot more tactical features, such as the option to switch between OTS mode and isometric view. Every game reviewer is giving the PC version much higher marks than the console ports.
I already knew that when I got my console version. I have no complaints. In fact, I don't need the isometric view at all. I can still pause the combat, switch from one party member to another and issue commands, then resume the action. If I wanted to I could even micromanage each member's specific behaviour patterns during combat, right down to who consumes a health poultice when and at what low health percentage in proportion to what other party members are doing at the moment. Yep, the tactical behaviour of your members can be as anal as you are. Works flawlessly.

I think the complaint about not having optional isometric views on the console versions disrespects the consoles and arbitrarily places the PC on some pedestal of perfection. That is unfair and insulting. The reality is that the consoles have their very own way of doing things irrespective of the PC precisely because it's an entirely different interface, a different way of experiencing gaming. In which case, why do consoles need to be subjected to demands as dictated by PC interface and experience?

Bioware seems to have made the console version of the game as good and efficient as they possibly could. They have extremely high standards given the quality of the oeuvre in the RPG genre. But of course, even that could never be immune to the snobbery of the arbitrary PC standards still being imposed by gamers and reviewers alike.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien