View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 06:32 AM   #1103
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
Off-topic, but - wow. Does it mean that The Last Wish was the only short stories collection published in English? If so, why on Earth did they choose to skip The Sword of Destiny? It's not only almost as good but also its last two stories 1) pick up a plot point started in Last Wish and 2) tie directly into the five full-length novels that follow.
That's just how the english translations went, the next to be released is the second novel, Times of contempt. I don't know why they went that way, perhaps the short stories will be staggered or gotten to later if the appeal is strong.

---

On topic. I'm really just killing time till Dragon Age becomes available to me, it won't be on november 3, but soon.

I've played through on normal difficulty, Torchlight's main story as both a Devastator (barbarian) and Alchemist (necromancer), and nearly finished it with a Vanquisher (rogue). The game isn't supposed to end exactly, there is an infinite dungeon with repeating, random fetch item & kill boss quests that hardly differs at all from the main plot.

Infinite dungeons don't really suit the Vanquisher or Alchemist classes though, they're skill builds (and skills cap at 10) so trawling randomly generated floors only for new weapons and items isn't as much fun with them, Devastators get the most out of new gear.

That leaves retiring your character and starting a new one on a harder difficulty, much like Diablo (no surprise). Not exactly keen on that yet. Torchlight is a wonderful looking and sounding game but the skills need serious balancing or better yet, uncapping. If your skills just mathematically progressed infinitely too, to keep pace with the infinite dungeon it really would be a never ending dungeon hack for loot whores.

You can tell its a quick little niche filler of a game, but in no way will it ever compete with the slickly polished and slightly genre evolving (a guess on my part) Diablo 3.

--

I Also just finished Half Life: Episode 2 again, in anticipation of Black Mesa (source)'s release sometime this year. I don't expect to see so much as a screenshot of Episode 3 this year but the thought of replaying Half Life (1) in the same spiffy engine as Episode 2 has my juices flowing (adrenaline...). I think I'll miss Alyx and Dog playing it though, they really add a sense of connection to Half Life 2 (especially in eps 1 and 2) and the original Half Life will seem rather lonely without them or any of the other support staff Half Life 2 gave us. Episode 3 really can't come soon enough.