View Single Post
Old 04-26-2004, 02:38 PM   #46
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

This purgatory is frustrating! I feel as if my state keeps getting extended just a bit every time. All I want is to live simply and know that I've wisely edited out the consumeristic superficialities of life and living that so many others seem to depend too much on - cell phones, overbooking social functions, designer this n thats, overexposure to media bullshit, politics, materialities, sophistries. Living is so damned expensive, no matter how frugal. I don't like this kind of society. Enjoying a smile and meaningul exchanges of ideas and experiences are free, and yet the advertisements keep telling you that you need this brand of cell phone or this new pricey SUV or pair of jeans to do so. I don't subscribe to that crap, but I'm still struggling. It's a conundrum. I'm poor, ultimately by choice. This is definitely one way to prevent falling into traps.

I like my new job a lot, and I feel it may finally help me out of the retail pit and move up towards customer service not involving selling anything. The smile I have when greeting visitors at the aquarium really is truly genuine, and it gives me satisfaction. I have this suspicion that this is where my profession lies ultimately - making people happy. But not in a consumeristic way, more in a humanitarian way. We'll see. I do plan on applying for volunteer work this summer, seems like I'll be feeling my way through.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien