View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
seanparkerfilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
I may have mentioned this before, but the only reason I enjoyed Runaway at all - not that I played much of it - was that a few of my friends were round, I put it on and we were literally in stitches, laughing at how terrible the game was. Within the first 20 minutes, it does everything an adventure game shouldn't do. It blows my mind that this game got such a good review here on Adventure Gamers - the same review that persuaded me to waste a good $20 on it.
I could not put it better myself.

I'm fine with other people actually liking the game, but it's irritating when they get defensive when we clearly state that we... um... hate it. It was hilarious though — not when it was trying to be, mind you — I couldn't believe what a monumental disaster of character development, voice acting, horrid dialogue (laughably so), general out-of-character "bastardy-ness" (does Brian ever visit a location in the game where he doesn't get someone killed, destroy a building, destroy priceless art, or do some sort of illicit activity without seeming to care or have it trouble him in the least?), and all of these complaints are only addressing the story. The puzzles are a whole extra can of worms, that, while okay and somewhat funny in some areas, were too ridiculously badly designed to make up for it. I cannot possibly see how making 5 trips from the water cooler to the steam engine could possibly be viewed as charming.

No, that is not a spoiler. If you haven't played this game yet (and plan to), you will thank me, seeing how once you do it the first time, there is no feedback — none at all — that would suggest in any way that four more trips are necessary. How many people would think of this on their own, AND think "Aha! What a clever puzzle."

OK, rant over. I feel like I've said this many a time, so I'm going nowhere. I hate this game... but it's okay if anyone else likes it. I won't judge you, this game just reeeeeaaaally rubs me the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirtysomething View Post
Runaway is a masterpiece compared to Runaway 2, the antichrist of adventure games.
Oh... my... God. That is frightening. Perhaps I'll have to go and play it after all, just to see how low it's sunk...