View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #41
Ascovel
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
And so your point is....? However you feel about the quality of the story, the story is there to be told and experienced, and the gameplay and exploration often serve to propel the narrative forward, right? The player is given the motive of narrative to forge ahead as well as the fun of the gameplay itself.
I think my point is very clear. You specifically adressed the quality of stories in games and you cited Batman as one of your examples of

Quote:
you'll find that many non-adventure game stories are just as good - if not better than - typical adventure games. Remember, many of those games [...] feature intelligently, compellingly, and richly written stories and characterizations.
To me Batman is only an example of good writing being an element of much lesser importance in non-adventure games than in adventure games. Especially, in expensive games that use popular franchises.

Quote:
Your view on the story in KOTOR still doesn't address the question of whether an adventure game is uniquely suited to tell a story, and it doesn't negate the validity and possibility of incorporating narrative into any kind of game. The story is still there no matter what kind of game it is, whether or not you like its quality or not.
I wasn't responding to any such question. What interests me is the quality of the story in non-adventure games compared to adventure games. In my opinion RPGs have a difficult time creating something really interesting storywise instead of relying on heroic achievements cliches. It's all because of relying on elements like custom created characters, because of the importance of combat, and the necessity of allowing the player different courses of action to choose from. Usually the designers focus on creating a varied enough world to explore and how the stats should work rather than on telling a great story.

Last edited by Ascovel; 10-01-2009 at 04:05 PM.