View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
kadji-kun
Banned User

G.H.O.S.T Chronicles: Phantom of the Renaissance Faire $6.99 Hidden Object

G.H.O.S.T. Chronicles: Phantom of the Renaissance Faire finds you hot on the trail of a menacing and terrifying ghost. This vengeful ghost has damaged attractions, vandalized shops and has driven away the park patrons. Inspect the park and determine if this is indeed ghostly activity or just a cruel and disastrous hoax. It is up to you to find out who is behind the haunting at the Renaissance Faire in this exciting Hidden Object Adventure game.

This game was a surprise. GHOST felt like the "Lost Crown" of Hidden Object games. Right from the beginning, they threw you into their own little HUB system, giving you limited access to a Renaissance Faire Park using a sort of 2d Panoramic view. As the game progresses, you unlock access to other areas of the park, either through completion of levels, or by finding a quest item.

There are three types of game play scenarios found in G.H.O.S.T. First being the traditional use of a tool to repair or find an object/quest item. Second is the Spectral Search. Here you must use the Spectral Meter to analyse the scene and find what items are missing in the real world. When you mouse over these items, they show up in the items list at the bottom of the screen. The last type is the traditional, Hidden Object Search. In order to get the item list, you must use Spectral Meter to find a hidden quest item. Still, these items have absolutely no connection with the story or gameplay. Just random, oblivious objects.

Graphics in GHOST resemble that of which you may be familiar with. The use of various photographs stitched together to make a unique environment, similar to 'the Lost Crown'. As I have stated in my own personal opinion of that very game, I am not fond of lazy photo mashing. With such unique premises, it is preferable that a little more effort is put into the polish of the game. I never found messy photo manipulations enjoyable. That aside, the environments themselves brought a sense of atmosphere that made the Lost Crown absolutely enjoyable.

In the story department, GHOST can be seen as a simple GHOST detective story. Like so many generic NOIR adventures, no matter what, we are always interested, even if we have seen it done over and over before. To progress the story, you can find newspaper clippings lying around, and animated 3d characters awaiting your help.

In the end, I found GHOST quite enjoyable. Just don't go into it thinking you are getting some epic ghost story.

3.4/5

Buy Now