Thread: Three Questions
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #2840
Squinky
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by geggis View Post
That theory sniffs of intellectualism with a dash of feminism.
Gee, you say that like it's a bad thing or something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
1. Would you rather be a nurturing women than a dominant man?
2. What do you think are good characteristics of a boss/manager?
3. Do you see any differences in the way female bosses and politicians handle their work compared to men in the same position? If yes, what are those differences?
1. All of the above and neither of the above, all at the same time!
2. I respect bosses and managers who are talented at what they do, who don't feel the need to step on other people to get to where they are, and who are good at mentoring people who aspire to excel in their field. I am fortunate to be working for such a person at this point in time.
3. In terms of actual performance, I've seen more evidence that there's greater variance between individuals than there exists between genders. In terms of public perception, however, one recurring trend I see is that females in positions of responsibility are more likely to have their failures attributed to their gender, whereas males are only blamed individually, as seen in my favourite xkcd comic.

EDIT: Oops, Mory beat me to tsa's questions, so I'll answer his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
  1. Do you know any women who are especially decisive or aggressive?
  2. Do you know any men who are especially good with kids or empathetic?
  3. What's your favorite platformer?
1. I can be when provoked. One of my very good friends fits this definition to a tee. So do many older women I admire, though their aggression tends to be more based in wit and intellectualism than in physicality.
2. My father is great with kids, and I have at least a couple of very dear male friends who have a sense of empathy I can only aspire to.
3. Psychonauts.

1. What, in your mind, is feminism?
2. Do you consider yourself a feminist? If not, do you consider yourself a feminist ally? Why/why not?
3. Does it make sense to you for a person to say "I'm not a feminist, but I believe that men and women are equal," and why/why not?