Thread: Three Questions
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #2837
geggis
the midnight rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Yes, I absolutely do. And for the record, that's not a "scientific concept", it's a theory. Which I don't hold by. I believe that men and women are mentally exactly the same, and that all differences in behavior come from either physical differences or (more usually) differences in how they're treated by society. There's a huge discrepancy between how harshly we treat men, and how condescendingly we treat women. The theory of evolutionary roles is just propagating sexist stereotypes and should not be given legitimacy.
That theory sniffs of intellectualism with a dash of feminism. I admire the notion but being physically different is exactly why I'd argue we're not the same. If we're physically different then it's surely not unreasonable that our brains are formed differently even before society has had an effect on us or we are aware of our differences. I think it's a shame that society compounds any gender disparities but I think even in isolation there would be very different behaviour patterns.

Also, how does sexuality fit into this? If the brain is a blank slate equal to all others when born then what determines our sexuality? Is homosexuality, even heterosexuality a choice, a decision imposed upon us or is it built in? It's overly simplistic to say that everything we are is purely nurtured and not nature. Up to a point I believe it's nature and beyond that well who knows. Interesting question Speck with an interesting answer Mory.

I'll get my coat.

EDIT: Thanks tsa for your answer too!

Last edited by geggis; 09-23-2009 at 01:11 PM.