View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #2836
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post

1. How nurturing are you?
2. How dominant are you?
3. Do you think we, as a society, have much use for the concept that some people are "typical" and other people are "exceptions"?
1 & 2. I can only answer these questions together with Step's last question 3:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepsie
Do you have any problem IN GENERAL with the scientific concepts that child-bearing females are mostly the nurturing gender, while the male gender in suck relationships are still the dominating hunter-gatherers? (I have no doubts that this is shifting of late, but isn't it still the general case?
I am convinced that women and men are not exactly the same. People have instincts, and I think women are indeed more nurturing than men, in general. There have been a few 'experiments' in bringing up babies of which the sex could not be determined easily like girls, who eventually turned out to be boys. Because of the fundamental difference between girls and boys, these people had a very hard life.
That said, I don't think men are by definition the dominant sex. I know enough couples where the lady 'wears the pants,' so to speak. The fact that men are dominant in most societies is probably a cultural thing. There are societies where women are the dominant sex.
Now to answer questions 1 and 2: Many people have called me 'miss,' either on purpose or by accident. Apparently I have many female characteristics. I do feel the need to nurture sick people in my environment and to check on my friends' well-being every now and then. And about my dominance: I think you'd better ask my friends and ex-colleagues. I don't consider myself very dominant.

3. What we do need is a model for 'the average person.' The average person has length this with standard deviation that, and IQ (whatever that is) 100 with standard deviation so. But the average person does not exist, so we are all exceptions.

------

1. Would you rather be a nurturing women than a dominant man?
2. What do you think are good characteristics of a boss/manager?
3. Do you see any differences in the way female bosses and politicians handle their work compared to men in the same position? If yes, what are those differences?