View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #1562
Blackheart

Going to start up Dead Space and see long I can last in that, I hear it's pretty hard cause it doesn't have a conventional UI HUD for a shooter-action/adventure game.

After that...Resident Evil 5 BABY!!!! YEA!!!!

@Intrepid Homoludens: LOL! You would think that would be a solution to one of the Riddler's puzzles, but, alas, it's not...just some backdrop decor. Gruesome isn't it? You probably don't want to cheat, but should you ever get stuck on the Riddler's challenge and want some extra help you can refer here:
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/batman-a...82614217603032 . Here's a hint: 35-40% of the trophies and chronicles of arkham you won't be able to get until you have the ultra batclaw after Croc's lair.

@AndreaDraco83: The first GK was a bit hokey and didn't receive the positive reception it should have if they had done some technical fine tuning. Still an all around solid game plot wise though and enjoyable at the end. The series gets significantly better with part 2 The Beast Within, the best title in the series bar none I thought. Part 3 was a huge letdown for me, a lot of people loved it but I thought it sucked balls. Just my opinion, don't let that deter you from playing it if you get the urge to do so.

@Gazzoid: I too had problems chaining moves together for high hitting freeflow combos until I discovered a little technique. Sure, you might be able to get 12 hits with nominal effort, but what about consistent 25+ hits? So let me give you some advice which really helped me when I figured it out.

The controls for the combat are decent, but they lack cohesion and need technical tuning. Comboing is much easier on the console (due mainly to the analog sticks) and the flaws in the combat mechanics suffered by the PC version aren't present on the console. I first figured this out when trying to implement counters into my combos.

Batman has an unpredictable and questionable range in his hit detection system. There will be times when you're unleashing moves in your combo trying to build momentum when a thug will come up behind you or to your side to hit you. If that thug isn't within the vicinity of the hit detection the A.I. recognizes and you go for the counter, but miss it will completely disrupt the flow of your combo and you will have to start all over. Then there will be the times that the enemy is somehow out of range for you to counter but still close enough to hit you and break your momentum. Finally, since you will be pressing buttons fast the command input has a limited sensitivity and there will be more than occasion you will hit the counter button and just not get credit for it because the A.I. simply didn't recognize the input.

Here are the best methods I've found to compensate for the flawed combat system:

(1) Don't go for every counter. Countering should only be done on a needed basis to keep the momentum of the combos going. On top of aforementioned combat system flaws there's also the issue that Batman randomizes his attacks and some counters, if successful, have a long sequence of moves that it will still disrupt the freeflow combo even if you land them simply because Batman wasn't keeping the flow of attacks going fast enough to keep the chain active. Just because an enemy comes up and tries to attack you and you can counter doesn't always mean you should. More often than not as Batman is seamlessly moving from target to target when an enemy comes up and tries to hit you Batman will move away from the incoming blow as he proceeds to his next target. Use this to your advantage.
(2) Visually compensate for the A.I.'s limited depth perception. You have to remember the A.I. and the game engine's renderer doesn't see the complex 3D world you do. Internally they only see programmed X, Y, and Z axis vertices for game objects and entities so the depth perception is misleading. I had a couple of instances where the enemy looked close enough to counter and they simply weren't and vice versa. Don't rely completely on the game's hit detection system so you need to be on top of your game and judge the distance between enemy targets yourself.
(3) Manipulate and use the camera angles to your advantage. I was having a hard time getting those hit combos when I rotated the mouse and discovered a nifty trick. Batman is going to move in the direction of his hit detection wherever the camera is facing and thus I learned I could choose the targets I wanted Batman to attack next by rotating the camera in the direction to face head on the enemy I wanted him to target next. This was also the time I figured out I could avoid unnecessary counter situations simply by moving the camera to a target away from the incoming blow or, alternatively, rotating the camera to face head on the thug who is about to attack. You know that sequence where you break into Arkham Mansion and there's that large group of thugs below you looking for Dr. Young's research notes? I took on that whole group in one seamless 50+ hit freeflow combo only using the described camera trick, LMB to attack, and RMB for the occasional quick counter in the situations where the enemy was too close and about to hit me before I finished attacking my current target before I could move on to the next. Never once did I press the movement or action keys.