View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #22
SamandMax
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
There's a passage in Silent Hill 5 in which you must pass through several floors, fighting a large amount of difficult to kill 4-legged monsters with swords as legs, plus a couple of nurses who can insta-kill you. I hated that part.
Yeah, that part was brutal, and there are dozens of moments like that in the game. It seems like they were compensating for the lack of difficulty in the first four games by making this one ridiculously hard. The second boss you fight, that giant doll thing, is easily one of the most frustrating moments I've ever had playing a game. And the weird thing about the difficulty in the game is the fact that it gets easier as it goes along. If you manage to survive the first half without breaking your controller, you'll zoom past the second half because the enemies get so much easier and they give you way more supplies. I still really liked the game but it may be the only Silent Hill I never replay simply because I don't want to deal with the insane difficulty again.

I'd also agree with Discworld as everyone else has been saying. I played that when it first came out, before the days of walkthroughs on the internet, and I can safetly say that even if I had put 10,000 hours into it, I never would've been able to finish it. Some of those puzzles required leaps of logic no brain was made to make.

I also can't talk about difficult games without mentioning Stuntman, which is still probably the most frustrating and completely unrewarding game I've ever played. The game boils down to you continually replaying the same driving sequence over and over again, making you restart as soon as you make the tiniest of errors, and then giving you nothing in return as a token of achievement. Imagine if you were playing Gran Turismo and they forced you to redo the race every time you made the tiniest of mistakes and you have an idea of how pointlessly hard and frustrating this game was.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing