View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
dgolds

I'm right there with you MattWBradbury. I am currently burned out on excessive dialog, and using every item with every item. This is after over 25 years playing adventure games. I love the genre, but the games that really grab me anymore are few and far between.

Like you, I have found that RPG's can fill the void. Games like Half Life, Oblivion, Fallout3 and Mass Effect are very immersive. The environments can be stunning. To climb to the top of a mountain range in Oblivion and simply look out over the land still amazes me. To me it feels more like an adventure than trying to figure out how to use the fish in my pocket to short circuit an electrical box. The fact that I had to dispose of a few monsters alone the way adds just adds to the excitement (I like to set the combat level to wimpy mode so it does not become overbearing).

Another diversion for me are casual games. I enjoy a well done "escape the room" game. Also, I just finished playing "Drawn" and thought it was pretty good.

What I really miss are the Myst clones (I loved all three of the Rhem games). Unfortunately, I don’t see anything like that on the horizon.

As far as gaming platforms go, I think Windows 7 is a great gaming environment. Having run it as my primary OS (64 bit) for a number of months (since RC1), I have not had any game issues. I loaded up a few of the older games and they ran fine. I think MS has taken its beating (deservedly) and finally come back with a strong OS.

And lastly, you mentioned KOTOR, which I noticed that Steam is offering for $10. Looks like I've got a new game for the weekend. Thanks for the final push!