View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 01:38 AM   #49
UPtimist
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
(Also, for some reason, I'm known to get cranky when the grail stories get bastardised. So let's not even go there.)
I know you said "let's not even go there", but I'm just wondering what exactly you meant by this? Are you talking about the (original) grail stories of the Middle Ages, around 12th century, or, like the modern more abstract concepts or what?

BTW, since I seem to have a compulsion to promote it in every possible situation, since we're on the subject of conspiracy theories, the grail, templars and such, I can't stress highly enough what an incredible book Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum is. First of all, it basically covers the whole history and especially the essence of human beliefs (also includeding conspiracy theories), it's a sort of a trip into being a human being, and although it deals with the same concepts (and more, of course) as for example The Da Vinci Code (and GK3 too, at the same time), it is infinitely better, a literary masterpiece and written by a real genius. I have to say though, Eco himself said that something like the first 70 pages were intenionally written very difficult, so that the reader would get used to the style of writing (which is true to Eco, so that it's not the most easy to read but once you get into it it somehow gives so much more, it's like it's on another level), so you shouldn't quit at the beginning if it seems a bit weird

Oh, and if you're not into conspiracy teories, let me note that this book is self-critical in this way. Any conspiracy in it isn't naïve, and the whole point in this area is the question whether it is credible or not.

I'm all excited just thinking about it Such a masterpiece

Last edited by UPtimist; 09-07-2009 at 03:47 AM.