View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #1047
Lucien21
Psychonaut

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Without a doubt the best comic book superhero game i've played in a long long time.

It takes the basic idea and name from the Grant Morrison comic, steeps it in a host of Batman mythos and a smattering of Bioshock and blends it all into a fun, addictive game.

Joker has taken over the mental asylum and it's up to Batman to stop his latest caper. Using the island as a hub you travel from building to building trying to outsmart Joker and along the way fight with such villians as Killer Croc, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn.

I haven't been this hooked by a game since I finished Dead Space playing the game constant since I bought it on Friday.

Deceptivly simple combat mechanics aside (it's more about the flow of combat rather than combo's. So with just a couple of buttons you can string together some impressive fighting moves) most things in this game are superb. I really loved the detective mode watching all the skeletons of the bad guys walking around, sneaking from place to place taking them down one at a time and listening to the rest panic until there was one left and then glide down from above and knock him out.

The voice acting (Mark Hamil as Joker ), the level design, the atmosphere, attention to detail for Batfans, the clever use of the Riddler to get you finding the 240 riddles and clues he has spread across the levels (unlike the stupid flags in assassins Creed you really want to find all the Riddler tokens and solve all the puzzles) it's all great.

So I finished the game on Normal difficulty, found all the riddlers puzzle stuff, solved the secret of Arkham, defeated most of my enemies in one night, crashed a party and kicked ass.

Superb.

9/10