View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 11:52 PM   #11
Little Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
However, in a country like Finland, English is everywhere. There was a wise decision (yes, it really was a decision) made in the past that all foreign-language shows (aside from young childrens' shows) will be in their original language, with subtitles. And as Finnish is a very insignificant language (and Finland too small to have a great market share in like the gaming industry), there's none of the kinds of translation that happens in like Germany or France (that foreign language games are translated to the language in question), so there's really nothing aside from our own production in our own language.
Exactly! It's the same here in Belgium. However, there's been a decline in recent years. It started with kiddie cartoons on tv; they took over the dubbed versions they made in Holland. Now, no disrespect to the Dutch, but if the idea is to make it more understandable, than their dubbing is completely missing the point. Whoever can understand those squeaky, screaming, high, distorted voices deserves a medal (I admit I'm overgeneralising here; this is certainly not the case with everything).

Then suddenly they started doing it with animations running in cinemas. Then even regular movies but aimed at younger audiences. Luckily they still run the original version parallel to the dubbed ones.

At least in recent years we Flemish started to do our own dubbed versions, because sometimes there's a difference between Holland Dutch and Flemish Dutch. But sometimes I still don't understand what our own actors are saying.

So a while back I was bidding on "The Longest Journey" on eBay. Turned out it was a Holland dubbed version! Bought "Experience 112" and guess what: Holland dubbed as well! What's going on here?

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13