View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

See, here's the thing. I just watched the first season of Lie to Me, and while it suddenly got much better toward the very end most of it was fun but unbelievably artificial. And that bugged me because it's supposed to be a show about how people really act, but no one in it was acting like a real person. They were all acting like TV show characters with their exposition-heavy dialogue and sitcom-like quips and wooden acting. And the plots were very artificial-seeming, too, because every episode followed the usual procedural clichés: every single person they talked to gave them an extremely unsubtle clue, they never got led down wrong paths, they never misinterpreted anything, they dealt with issues that in the real world less highly-paid people would deal with easily. I enjoyed the show, but it was too neat and artificial and clean for what the premise of the show (detecting lies using real methods) seemed to hint at.

So now I've got an itch for something more realistic. It doesn't have to be a straight drama: Battlestar Galactica would probably scratch the itch, except that I've seen it all already. And there must be some realistic comedies, no? So anything that would focus on a likable non-cop/detective realistic character or two would be what I'm looking for.