View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #18
orient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
All more money to Rev would bring are just more progressively worse Broken Swords. Broken Sword 4 sold poorly because it was BAD.
I agree. Broken Sword 4 was bad and sales reflected that, but I don't think it's fair to label Rev as an incompetent bunch of hacks because of it.

You're probably right about them lacking the ambition of some indie developers. The type of risk-taking you're referring to is what Charles Cecil was doing some 20+ years ago. It doesn't surprise me that these so-called "old timers" don't want to do it all over again and risk everything by making a game that publishers may or may not want to buy. Does that make them talentless? I don't think so. Not all studios need to be cutting-edge innovators. Revolution are clearly a studio devoted to the adventure genre. They seen an opportunity to revitalize the genre and the types of games they want to make through Wii, DS and now downloadable devices. They wanted to make some money first, so later on they could self-publish smaller, downloadable games and finally get to make that BASS sequel.

If that makes them "pathetic" in your eyes then so be it, but I won't be so hasty.