View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #1026
Giligan
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Metal Gear Solid 4

I'm happy with some parts of this game, and others, not so much. First of all, the game is incredibly deep - mostly in terms of gameplay, but story too. From listening to music in your iPod to being able to explore the Nomad with the Metal Gear Mk. II during the mission briefings, instead of just watching them as cutscenes, the developers went above and beyond in crafting a multi-faceted experience that can be played differently again and again. If I were to become a video game developer, I would certainly take cues from Metal Gear Solid 4's game design.

One remarkable thing about the game is the characters. In video games, characters are often two-dimensional and exist only for to accomplish a specific task, in the story or gameplay. Not so in Metal Gear Solid 4. The characters are all genuinely believable as individuals. They all have unique personalities, and they all play an important role.

In fact, the only thing that I don't like about the game, really, is that Hideo Kojima injected so much of his eccentric and quirky humor and personality into the game. Anyone who has played the game knows what I mean - one particular pointless thing that happens during a boss fight in the fifth level is an excellent example of this. I suppose when you've spent 20 years working on a franchise, you have the right to take some liberties, but on the whole I'd rather there was more game and less Hideo Kojima throughout.

So because of that, the whole game becomes less of a technical masterpiece and more of a strange trip through Kojima's mind. However, there's enough about this game that's amazing and well-done to make it one of the most outstanding titles of gaming history, in my opinion. I would certainly place it among the best games I have played.

Last edited by Giligan; 08-20-2009 at 11:50 AM.