View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #1021
JemyM

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Little Big Planet
There are still some developers who dare to be different. LBP is a physics-based platform game with extreme cuteness, that really should be played by multiple players. You are even encouraged to play 4 people, but 2 is enough to have fun with it. But under the surface, is it anything more than a traditional platformer?

Story
There actually is a story in LBP... You travel across different nations such as Europe, Africa, USA, South America, Japan etc and in each of the places you visit a mysterious guy kidnap the people you help. Of course, I do not think you will bother about it that much, but let me say that it's very children friendly.

Engine: Graphics & Sound
Little Big Planet is a physics-based platform game, that looks a lot like childrens television in the 60-80'ies (before everything was cartoon only). Each map looks handmade, crafted if you so will, in wood, textiles etc, everything handpainted. This looks really good and it even brought me a bit of nostalgia from my own childhood. You play a "sackboy", a small humanoid doll. With the controller you can not only jump and move around, you can also look around, wave each hand separetely and change your mood, to pose for screenshots or for roleplaying reasons. The sound is pretty good and the music is excellent and very unique, often inspired by whatever nation you are in at the moment. All this looks really great.

Gameplay
LBP boils down to an advanced platformer for up to 4 people. As a platformer it's great. But what LBP really boosts is creativity. It speaks about creativity in the intro, if you end the game you get a "Only the beginning" trophy with a large amount of trophies to be earned if you create maps and upload them to the web (granted if people actually play them). The creation tool is ofcourse top notch and gives you free hands to create whatever map you like, and it's not surprising that there are a huge amount of custom maps, some of which can be seen on youtube.

Final Conclusion
For those who do not intend to create any maps or play custom content, LBP is still a fun platformer that should be played with friends or family. The main story is very children friendly and this is really a game to put in front of a younger child, if he/she is able to beat the maps that is. Ofcourse, any adult could join in and play too and it's perfectly fine to play the entire family. Even if I do not have any kids on my own, LBP was finally a game that me and my cohabit really could enjoy together. It took us almost a year to finish the game, one level here, one level there.

Me and my cohabit in-game