View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #19
mgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet View Post
I find this comment interesting. Lots of puzzles supposedly unrelated to the story - mazes, sliders, codes, math - are the most logical to solve. The so called story related ones - inventory and dialogue - are often obtuse and illogical (rubber duckies and mustaches anyone?).
Mazes, sliders, codes and math puzzles are the worst things in AG's IMO, and for me the hardest. I admit I suck at them so there ya go. Buy why have them in the first place? To me they seem to be there only to pad the length of the game.

I've been playing SH The Ripper, and right near the beginning of the game,
Spoiler:
there's one of those illogical "open the suitcase" puzzles that of course has some type of intricate lock. I couldn't find any logical solution to it, and search as I did, couldn't find an in-game clue either.
So I went to a walkthrough and continued on with the game because this is one of those games where the story did intrigue me enough to keep going with it. But why have it in there at all? It had nothing to do with the plot of the game.

The story related ones such as dialog are for me the most interesting such as Culpa Innata, which many here didn't like because of that very reason. But for me I'd much prefer talking to people to get more out of the story, than opening a lock or figuring out some slider. The inventory puzzles usually make at least some kind of sense. eg; you need to take a nail out of something, you need to find a hammer etc. You're right though, not always. I never completed TLJ because of that very puzzle. That was one of those games when I got to that puzzle, I simply uninstalled and never looked back.

The person that started this thread would rather a puzzle orientated game. God knows there's plenty of those. You think it strange that the puzzles I think are the hardest, are the easiest. And for you I'm sure those type of puzzles are easy.

So different strokes for different folks I guess. But if AG's are primarily about the story, why put so many puzzles in them that have nothing to do with the plot?