View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #15
Keregioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type View Post
I love adventures, love hard puzzles and play most of the games released nowdays, but I still think they are rubbish and not worth of the genre. That's simply because adventure developers lost their imagination somewhere. And money has nothing to do with it. Boaks still makes great low-budget games.
But most of the so-called modern adventure developers are not only untalented in many ways - they seem to know nothing about the genre itself. For example, the developers of Dead Mounteneer's Hotel might've only played Syberia. Once. In a work break. You can write hundreds of paragraphs on how detailed the graphics is, there's still nothing for adventure gamer there. Nor for the fans of Strugacki brothers, if there are any. EP not only unable to think of something for their own - they managed to ruin the book. And that 's typical for 90% of developers.
So, adventure games are dead. Not completely, but the situation in late 90th was far better than nowdays, even if there were 10 or so games per year.
Unfortunately it does. I don't think that there's a shortage of talent in the gaming industry. There are a lot of talented designers out there. Problem is they use their talent to design FPSs, RPGs etc. because that's is what is most popular these days and what is more likely to get a company to give money for. They sell much better and they pay much better. If these people lived in the advenure gaming golden era they would be designing adventure games. If money wasn't a subject then people like ron gilbert, tim schaffer, jane jensen etc would still be designing advenures.