View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
Marduk

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk
Default Learning [written] Languages through AGs

I've heard several times, now, that Adventure Gaming has helped many people learn English. I imagine you'd need to be at least an intermediate to learn in this way and learn to associate the subtitles with spoken words.

I imagine games where you need to choose the write things to say in conversation, such as Monkey Island, would also be a big help because there'd be a fair amount of words you'd only see written. You'd need to work out their meanings before choosing the write one before having the opportunity to hear them and seeing the reactions of the other characters.

As somebody who’s interested in learning a language I can't help but think this might be a worthy option to consider at some point down the line.

Is there anybody here who has learned, or been aided in leaning, English (or any other language) through AGS or even any other genre of game? Or anybody who even knows of people who have done this? I'd really love to hear your experiences / anecdotes.