Thread: I hate puzzles.
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 01:07 AM   #77
AndreaDraco83

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by noknowncure View Post
I don't agree with this necessarily. The way an Adventure Game tells a story - when compared to other genres - is certainly different, but not superior.
With superior I meant that, if done well, the narrative of an adventure game, being the primary focus, could be achieved in a way other genres (with other focuses) can't.

For example, Fallout 3 had a good story. And many side quests were even better than the main one, story-wise. Nevertheless, the focus of the game remained clear the building of the character (and the combat). The Witcher, a game I sadly totally disliked, had a great story, but an abysmal writing and, once again, the focus was the combat technique and the ability management.

To answer the question about what adventure games can do that other genres would find difficult to do, I have no doubt: investigations. If I bear in mind Oblivion or Morrowind or even Mass Effect, when these games tried to incorporate investigative quests, they miserably failed, mainly because of a limited possible interaction with the in-game world (and by this I don't mean physical interaction). For example, if you are familiar with Oblivion, chances are that you have stumbled upon this quest, Canvas the Castle. The narrative of this side quest, intended to be a purely investigative challenge, was trivial and rather uninspired, streamlined and severely unsatisfactory from a storytelling perspective, because the quest fails to be both a successful whodunit and a compelling story in its own right.

Oh, and mind you: I have played Oblivion from more than 200 hours and it is without a doubt one of my favorite games, but certain things were painfully wrong
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box